- 2 cured and smoked shanks of pork
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 bouquet garni
- enough water to cover
- Place the pork shanks into a large pot, add all the rest of the ingredients and put in enough water to cover the pork shanks.
- Bring it to the boil and then reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 2 to 3 hours. The meat will be tender and the skins soft.
- Remove them from the pot and pat dry with a cloth, score the skin diagonally with a sharp knife and salt the skin well.
- Place under a hot grill allowing the skin to crisp up. Keep an eye on them and turn to crisp the entire outside.
- Best served with boiled potatoes tossed in butter and parsley with sauerkraut and strong mustard. Also put some apple puree on the table.