Fireworks: What you need to know
The Overstrand Community Fire Safety By-Law PN6454/2007 requires that:
54. No person shall except for the provision of section 56, discharge fireworks within the area of jurisdiction of the municipality.
55. The owner or occupier of any immovable property on which any fireworks are discharged shall, until the contrary is proved, be deemed to have discharged the fireworks.
56. No person shall be guilty of discharging fireworks if he/she discharged the fireworks for a purpose and at a time and place approved in writing by the “Chief Fire Officer’’;
The standing rule that was approved by the Chief Fire Officer in previous years for the discharge of fire works has been:
Approved areas for discharge from 23:30 to 01:00:-
- Grotto beach East near lagoon mouth
- Hawston Beach Only (Not in Camping Site, Not Parking Area, Not Harbour)
- Uilenskrallmond Beach Only
- Stanfords Bay Beach Only
- Kleinmond Beach Only
The By-Law also prohibits the use of any form of lantern in an uncontrolled manner as prescribed:
33. A person may not cause or permit a flame-emitting device, such as a candle, lantern or torch, but not limited thereto, to be used in a manner which is likely to create a fire hazard or other threatening danger.